After abdicating the throne, the last king of Vietnam – Bao Dai – asked to keep An Dinh Palace, which was built by his father – Emperor Khai Dinh – outside the Hue royal citadel, as the home of his family.
An Dinh Palace is situated on the bank of An Cuu River (Hue City). It was built by King Khai Dinh in 1917. After the abdication on August 30, 1945, Bao Dai’s family moved to this palace.
Currently, the palace of about 750 m2 is a tourist attraction.
The 3-storey palace with over 20 rooms is called Khai Tuong Lau. In the main, middle room are six mural paintings featuring the royal tombs of the Nguyen kings. The statue of Khai Dinh, which was formerly located in Trung Lap Temple, is now display here.
The ceiling of Khai Tuong Lau is decorated beautifully. The palace has been repaired several times.
The left side of the main room is the living room.
Opposite to the living room is a large dining room.
An ancient cabinet in the palace.
The Western-style stairs from the 1st to the 2nd floor.
After his family moved to the palace, Emperor Bao Dai went to Hanoi to work as the advisor of the revolutionary government so only his mother, his wife, Queen Nam Phuong and his children lived in An Dinh Palace. This is the room of the Queen Mother – Tu Cung.
Some pictures of King Bao Dai and his family are on display in the palace. In 1955, the palace was confiscated by Ngo Dinh Diem regime.
A portrait of Empress Nam Phuong in 1944. Through many historical events, An Dinh Palace’s original beauty has not been preserved.
The backyard of the palace used to be Cuu Tu Dai theatre, where the king’s family listened to music and dance. However it was destroyed in 1947. After 1975, the Queen Mother donated this palace to the state.
Photo by VNE